PART ONE Professional recognition in your country

1.1. Which organisation recognises doctors eligible to practice in your country?
In case your country has more then one organisation which can provide professional recognition, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.

Registration as a doctor
Name:   CIBG  
Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.) Trade union and professional organisation:
Address:  Postbus 3173
6401 DR Heerlen                 
Phone number:  0031 70 340 66 00   
Contact person:      
Website (s):

Registration as a medical specialist
Name:   Registratiecommissie Geneeskundig Specialisten  

Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.) Trade union and professional organisation 

Address: Mercatorlaan 1200
3528 BL Utrecht    
Phone number:  088 – 440 43 30    

Contact person:       

Website (s):

1.2. What requirements/documents are necessary for a foreign doctor to practice medicine?
i.e. language skills, medical degree, insurance, immigration status.

Medical degree
Proficiency in Dutch
Certificate of Current Professional Status/Certificate of good standing
Additional requirements registration medical specialty
proof of professional experience
proof of additional training              
Where else can we find more information?

1.3. Are there any application deadlines (if so, when)?
Furthermore, how long does the professional recognition procedure usually take?

There are no specific deadlines. The length of the procedure depends on the country where the qualification was obtained. The procedure for qualifications obtained within the EEA tends to be shorter than the procedure for qualifications obtained outside the EEA due to the European laws on automatic recognition.            
Where else can we find more information?

1.4. Are there any sort of examinations/interviews to apply for Medical Professional Recognition?

This depends on the contents of the followed training in comparison to the Dutch equivalent training. Additional training and examination might be required.                     
Where else can we find more information?

1.5.1. What kind of professional medical degrees are there in your country?

It starts with the bachelor/master medical training. After successful completion you can apply for a training in a medical specialty.                                
Where else can we find more information? 
All medical specialties can be found here:

1.5.2. How do you access each degree?

Apply to a university or in the case of a medical specialty trough a job application.                     
Where else can we find more information?
The university websites

PART TWO Training in your country

2.1. Which organisation is responsible for medical training in your country?
In case your country has more than one organisation with this function, please attach to this survey a simple list of names and websites where we can acquire more information.

The bachelor/master training is given under the responsibility of a university.

For the medical specialties every medical chamber is responsible for defining the national trainingprogram. The Medical Specialties Council (College medische specialismen, CGS) of the KNMG is responsible for rules and regulations regarding the medical specialist training.
The Registratiecommissie Geneeskundig Specialisten (RGS) of the KNMG is responsible for the recognition of the training organisations.

Type of organisation (professional, government, etc.):

Phone number:         

Contact person:        


University websites
KNMG (Dutch Royal Medical Association)      
Medical Specialties Council                                
Registratiecommissie Geneeskundig Specialisten
Federatie Medisch Specialisten

2.2. Besides professional recognition, is there any other requirement for a doctor to start his training/begin to work (i.e. examination, clerkship, internship)? Namely, which documents/examinations are necessary when applying for training/job?

To start training as a medical specialist the doctor needs to have a registration in the BIG-register as a doctor.                                    

2.2.1. Where are training positions advertised?

Magazine for doctors Medisch Contact
Magazines of the medical chambers
Websites of care organisations and hospitals.
Where else can we find more information?

2.3. Are there any application deadlines (if so, which)?

For the training as a doctor depends on the university.
For the medical specialist training this differs per medical chamber and / or region. In general they can either start throughout the year or twice a year.

Where else can we find more information?     
The university websites

2.4. How do applicants choose what and where they would like to train?

They can apply in any region or facility. A trainee determines the training program in cooperation with his or her trainer. The RGS makes sure the training program satisfies the national criteria for a training in the concerned specialty that are determined by the CGS.

2.5. Is there a fee/tuition for attending a training programme?

For most specialities there is no fee or tuition.

2.6. Do trainees receive a salary during training?

Yes, they are employed by either a care organisation or a national organisation, which pays their salaries according to collective labour agreements.

2.6.1. Moreover, what is the current salary and is overtime paid?

In most collective labour agreements overtime is discussed and paid for - this is not always the case as overtime is rarely registered. It can vary per type of care organisation. The salaries are well over the national minimum salaries.

2.6.2. What type of contracts are there? How long are the working and on-calls times?

During post graduate training you have a contract for the duration of your training program. When you finish training you do not automatically get a job.

Working hours and on-call duties are well defined in the collective labour agreements, and vary on a fulltime basis between 36 and 48 hours per week.

All collective labour agreements in healthcare can be found on

2.6.3. Are sick leave, vacation days, maternity leave, voluntary work allowed and do they entail a reduction of salary?

In Dutch national legislation sick leave, maternity leave and vacation days are allowed. In collective labour agreements more specific agreements are made about the number of vacation days.  In most cases they do not entail a reduction of salary. It is also possible to take parental leave, which does mean a reduction in hours and salary.

2.7. In general terms, how is the training assessment done?
i.e. exams, evaluations, interviews, appraisal

By short reviews of your competencies, an increasing number of specialties use entrustable professional activities (EPA’s), in addition there can be written, oral or practical exams. Some medical chambers have obligated European exams.

PART THREE Other details about training/working in your country

3.1. Is mobility possible inside and outside the country during your training?

It is possible during post graduate training after approved by the teacher and organisation. It differs per specialty and per care organisation.

3.2. How many trainees are there in your country?
Divided, if possible, by in each speciality.

Divided, if possible, by in each speciality.
The number of trainees and number of specialists can be found here:

Where else can we find more information?

3.3. What are the success, training drop-out and post-training employment rates?

Drop-out varies between 1 and 10%. There are no actual numbers available.

3.4. Is there an accreditation procedure for training centres (and do they include visitations)?

Yes there is an accreditation procedure for training centres and trainers. And it also includes visitation. For the medical specialties the RGS is responsible for the recognition and visitation of training facilities and trainers.                    
Where else can we find more information?

3.5. Is there any national recertification/revalidation scheme to practice?

Yes there is revalidation for the registration as a doctor and as a medical specialist. There is also a recertification scheme when it comes to recognized trainers and training facilities. Visitation of the training facility is included in the process of its recertification by the RGS.                        
Where else can we find more information?

3.6. Are there any differences in the application procedure according to the country of origin of a trainee?

The main difference is between doctors from within EEA and doctors from outside EEA. The application procedure is the same, however the substantive assessment might differ due to the European rules on automatic recognition of professional qualifications.
Where else can we find more information?

3.7.1. Are there any restrictions for a foreign doctor who is undergoing training in your country to work there afterwards?

No, in general there are no limitations. General national laws regarding immigrants do apply.

3.7.2. Moreover, is it possible for a trainee undergoing training in another EU/EEA country to do part of his training in your country? If so, what are the necessary requirements/documents?

This is possible, but varies between specialties.                         
Where else can we find more information?

3.8. Please summarise the general timeline between the time where a doctor has just graduated until he has attained a final senior post as an independent medical doctor.
In other words, please describe, in general terms, the training of a junior doctor in your country.

Medical training (bachelor and master) takes six years. You can apply after high school, and are accepted by draw or through a selection procedure.
After graduation you are registered as a doctor and can start your medical specialist training.
Most doctors start working as a resident-not-in-training first for a number of years.
Then they apply for a medical specialist training or PhD position.
The medical specialist training differs per specialty and varies in time between three and six years.
After graduating post graduate training, you are registered as a medical specialist. In some specialties it is common to apply for a fellowship after the medical specialist training.

3.9. Is it compulsory to have malpractice (or any other) insurance?


3.10. What is the general perspective/position on immigration of medical trainees to your country?

They are welcome. Some specialties have too many applicants, so getting into post graduate training is difficult for both native as immigrated trainees. There are more doctors trained in The Netherlands than post graduate positions.

3.11. What is the general perspective/position on emigration of medical trainees to foreign countries?

It is accepted and happens regularly. The Netherlands are considered to be a donor-country.

3.12. Are there any restrictions in your country to comply with the consolidated version of EU 2005/36?

The requirements from Directive 2005/36/EC are included in Dutch legislation.

3.13. Which organisation(s) specialise in assisting doctors in legal and work matters?
i.e. trade unions, medical chambers, other organizations.

KNMG: The Royal Dutch Medical Association assists doctors on ethical subjects.
FMS The Dutch Federation of Medical Specialists assists medical specialists.
LAD The Dutch Association of Salaried Doctors is the Dutch trade union for doctors
DJS De Jonge Specialist is the Dutch association for residents in training.
  LHV The Dutch organization for general practitioners.

Dutch Registration organisations:
Big register

3.14. Is there any other information you consider relevant with regard to this subject?

Contact information:
De Jonge Specialist
Secretary of the board
0031 88 122 13 44